Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Gardening Gear -- Best Gloves?

These gloves are made for skiing, but that's not how I've been using them...

OK, fellow gardeners, here's a question that mystifies me:

I've been gardening for ~2 years now, but I have yet to figure out what to look for in an ideal gardening glove.

Part of me really likes natural materials (animal skin) and to shop local (Made in USA). For those two criteria, I think it's hard to meet Sullivan Leather Gloves for quality and value.

I have a pair of super-comfy outseam gloves (seam is on the outside of the gloves) from Sullivan made of deerskin that I wear as my everyday winter gloves (driving, walking, etc.) -- plus they're really nice enough to be considered dress gloves too for a night out.

They're way too nice to use in the garden. But Sullivan has gloves like these Work gloves made of elk, goat or deer that seem to be designed for dirty work.

Even so, I have a hard time imagining getting these all mucked up working in the muddy, sticky clay that we get here in spring or fall.

For that type of work, I almost want a glove that I can either rinse off with a hose (which I don't think would be a smart idea with a leather glove) or even throw in a washing machine.

So I've been improvising and using some gloves that were clearly not designed as gardening gloves. For instance, I've used ski gloves (keeps my hands warm in winter, overheated in summer, decently padded for working with a shovel, but forget about any delicate work like planting seeds or picking small weeds).

These are my other 'gardening gloves'. They are actually bicycling gloves. Not that I've ever tried to garden while bicycling. Because that would be weird.

I've also used gloves that were meant for bicycling. These have a bit more dexterity and I like the elastic around the wrists that keeps dirt and debris from falling into the gloves, but they're clearly not meant to be gardening gloves. They still don't give much dexterity for detail work (sowing seeds, picking weeds), plus they were sown roughly on the inside so I always feel like I'm getting poked in the fingertips.


I have gone out and bought dedicated gardening gloves in the past - like these Magid nitrile-and-bamboo gloves from Amazon - but I find that they tend to rip and tear very easily. Plus that nitrile stuff makes me hands really sweaty and uncomfortable, especially in hot weather, despite the fact that the bamboo is supposed to make the gloves breathable.

I found these Magid nitrile-rayon bamboo gloves from Amazon affordable, but not very durable (they tore easily). Plus they made my hands all sweaty. Yech. 


So help me out here fellow gardeners: What is the secret to the perfect gardening glove?

Or do you have a couple pairs of gloves that you use for different kinds of work?

For instance, should I get a pair of deerskin or goatskin gloves for certain kinds of heavy/dry work (chopping wood, trimming trees, etc.) and then just use disposable latex gloves for wet and muddy work?

I'd love to find a pair of gloves that is eco-friendly, durable, protective, comfortable, maybe even washable. Too much to ask?

All suggestions are appreciated! Looking forward to hearing what works best for you.

16 comments:

  1. Hey Aaron: I use basic heavy-duty suede/shearling gloves for raking, digging, and tough jobs. But most of the time for fine work like planting and weeding, I don't use gloves! I love digging in the dirt and I have short (sometimes messed-up) fingernails from March through October!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you. I like digging in some dirt myself. Although I have to confess I find digging in that magical black loam a lot more fun than digging in sticky Tennessee clay and rocks! ;-)

      Delete
  2. I admire your creativity with the ski gloves! But how hot and bulky they must feel in summer.

    I only use Mud Gloves, the original ones. http://www.mudglove.com/gloves/mudoriginal.php

    The waterproof coating is thick and heavy but flexible enough to use your fingers but still protect from rough stuff in the dirt. They really are waterproof, no leaking. The stretchy wrist material is snug so I don't get debris down the inside of the glove. They go in the washer and then air dry and look clean as new. They can be hot in summer but not overly so. I can't find out if they are USA made, so perhaps not.

    They get hard use every day to hand weed, move rocks, scoop and dig without tools, mound up dirt by hand, sift through the yuckier parts of the compost pile, and at the end of the season a couple pairs are pretty worn out, and I buy new the next year. Indispensable!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurrie, you're too kind. "Creativity" or "craziness"? LOL! :)

      (Oh yeah - they are VERY hot in the summertime!)

      Thanks for the suggestion on Mud Gloves. I think I had something similar and they did tear. But they're not super-expensive ($9-10 on Amazon) so I might try them again.

      A fellow gardener over on Google+ (where I cross-post my blog updates) suggested goatskin gloves. Apparently they've lasted her for many years. I asked about washing them and she said you can't throw them in the washer, but apparently you can actually just wear them and wash your hands with a mild soap then let them air dry by propping them fingers-up on the handle of a rake or dowel. I guess there are even leather creams you can use to moisturize them after that.

      The goatskin gloves I've seen online are more expensive than the Mud Gloves, but she said that places like Home Depot sell goatskin gloves in 3-packs that are probably more affordable. And if they last for years...

      Delete
    2. Alternatively, I might pay a little more (OK a lot more) and try to buy a Made in the USA goatskin glove like this one - http://www.schaefer-ranchwear.com/schaefer-store/ranchhand-gloves/goatskin-ranchhand-gloves-4.html

      Delete
  3. I am with PlantPostings...no gloves for much of my planting especially in the veg garden but for harder work I use leather that are trashed after half a season...I'd love to hear about gloves that will actually make it past a couple of months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Donna, Not sure how hard your 'harder work' is, but as I wrote above, one gardener on Google+ mentioned her goatskin gardening gloves lasting for many years with hand washing, air drying and subsequent conditioning.

      Delete
  4. I don't wear gloves unless I am working with thorny plants or doing heavy work. The gloves I do wear are cheap cloth ones that I can ruin and replace without guilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you, Jason. If you don't wear gloves, you don't have to worry about your gloves wearing out! (Of course, you might have to worry about your *hands* wearing out. LOL! :)

      Delete
  5. I never use gardening gloves unless I'm working with something lethal, like roses and blackberry thorns, because I don't like the barrier they create. I enjoy feeling the soil, bugs, worms, rotting leaves, and all parts of the plant. I think I would miss out on a lot of the gardening experience without this tactile aspect. I have a drawer full of gardening gloves given to me by well-meaning friends and family, but I defy anyone to make me wear them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Inspiring, Dottie :)

      I would love to feel 'soil' too. (If only I had soil instead of clay and rocks...) ;)

      Just kidding. Sort of.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the info Laurrie... I almost got these last year but settled on a different type of glove and was not happy with them. I am actually going to try these this year. I have been searching for the website etc and forgot what they were called and gave up. Then today I saw your post and am so happy you included the web address. I am ordering 2 pairs now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always wear gloves. I like the goat skin gloves because they protect my hands from thorns, yet I can "feel" through them, if you know what I mean. Not tiny stuff like seeds, but enough for me to do weeding, and tough enough for me to shovel, move plants, etc. I get mine at a local flea market, and buy several pair to get me through the year. Getting a tough glove that is washable, too, won't tear up, and protects from thorns is almost an impossibility, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Holley. So you find that the goatskin gloves tear? Bummer. Maybe a thicker goatskin might survive? Well, I'll try a couple this year and let y'all know what works best for me.

      Delete
  8. Aaron I only use garden gloves when I'm trimming my roses. Otherwise I've found them to be very irritating. :0)I have short fat fingers and wide hands so they never fit right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you, Randy. Maybe you need custom gloves! :)

      Delete

Need to add an image? Use this code [img]IMAGE-URL-HERE[/img]