Wednesday, May 11, 2016

A Little Weedy?


The benefit of not using Preen or any other pre-emergent herbicide in the garden is that I enjoy LOTS of volunteer seedlings in my garden. Some of these are desirable plants (Cosmos, redbuds, asters, milkweeds, arrowwood viburnum, last year even a sassafras tree!).

On the other hand, the drawback of not using a pre-emergent is that I do have to hand-weed the beds to remove unwanted volunteers such as crabgrass, clover, wild grape and love-in-a-mist. (I planted that last one myself before I realized it was give me approximately a bazillion volunteers every year. So now I'm trying to rectify my mistake.)

And then there are the unknowns. Even our local extension agent couldn't pin a label on the photos below. So I'm hoping to crowdsource the answer through the magic of the World Wide Web and all you gardening wizards out there.  Any ideas?

Handsome. Symmetrical. Weedy?

These next three photos might all be the same species, though they're not the same specimen.

Vigorous for sure.

Healthy and strong, but is it desirable or pernicious?

This deep green beauty with toothed leaves popped up in the front border amid some Agastache. Should I keep it or give it the heave-ho?


Instagram