Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Gardens of Spain Part 2 - The Alcazar of Sevilla

Courtyard garden in Sevilla's Alcazar palace. Beautifully carved archways and a pleasant-enough long pool of water, but I'm underwhelmed by the scrawny, clipped orange trees adrift in a sea of dirt. This courtyard does demonstrate the Moorish and Mudejar predilection for symmetry in design.

To me, the Alhambra in Granada represents the pinnacle of Moorish architecture and design in Spain.

The Alcazar in Sevilla, on the other hand, demonstrates "Mudejar" craft -- the skill of Muslim artisans who remained in Spain after the Christian reconquest and used their skills (especially architecture and decorative arts) in the service of Christian monarchs and a Christian sensibility. Thus, for instance, a building that was built for the Christian king Peter I apparently contains Arabic inscriptions that describe Peter as a "sultan".

Personally, I prefer what I consider to be the pure Moorish aesthetic at the Alhambra. While I admire the fact that kings like Peter respected the Moorish traditions enough to incorporate their styles into his palace, the Sevilla Alcazar still seems somewhat ersatz to me.

(Peter himself had an interesting life. I find it interesting that he was known by the epithets of both "Peter the Just" and "Peter the Cruel". Guess it depends whether you agreed with his positions or not!)

The gardens of the Alcazar palace are extensive, but there just weren't very many plants or design elements that caught my interest or struck me as noteworthy. In fact, looking through all the Alcazar photos I took, I could only find two more garden-related photos worth posting:

Not even in the actual garden, this palm tree and the other tree covered in flowers beyond it caught my eye. I liked the contrast of textures and colors. Does anyone know what the pink-flowering tree might be? I presume it would not be hardy to USDA zones 6/7, but I'd still like to know...





Lantana camara (popularly known just as Lantana) is treated as an annual plant where I live, but I was surprised to learn that it is actually a perennial hardy to zone 9b (according to Dave's Garden). Southern Spain had the most beautiful Lantana plants that I had ever seen, including this specimen in the Alcazar gardens. According to North Carolina State University, unripe Lantana berries are extremely poisonous, so please be careful with this plant! There are also reports that the leaves can cause dermatitis in people (and can be poisonous to cattle that eat large quantities of them) and Lantana camara can apparently also be very invasive, especially in warmer parts of the U.S. So while I like this photo, I guess I would discourage post people from planting Lantana in their yards.

Like what you've been reading? Stay up-to-date on future posts with an email subscription.

10 comments:

  1. Interesting as the architecture is lovely but sad the garden is not noteworthy. Lantana is an annual for me but for my sister in AZ it is a perennial that is not invasive in her drier climate and part shade garden area where it is planted...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Donna. Happy to hear that Lantana is not invasive everywhere!

      Southern Spain's climate is pretty dry too, I think, so perhaps they're able to keep lantana in bounds there too.

      I agree with you that it's interesting that the architecture is stunning even as the garden is pedestrian. Maybe the architect didn't want any interesting plants to distract visitors from looking at his building? ;-)

      Delete
  2. It's always frustrating when much hyped gardens turn out to be duds. Great architecture and you can't beat the climate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the sympathy ;-)

      Yep, I can't complain too much. I did enjoy the architecture quite a bit and it was nice to bask in the warm sun of Andalucia.

      Delete
  3. Love the water and arches but the popsicle trees in bare dirt are sad. Thanks for the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my--the architecture is amazing! I'd love to get to Spain some day. How interesting that you didn't see more plants. The photo with the Palms and the pink flowers is lovely! And after seeing Lantanas thriving in New Orleans, I became a great fan. I'm planning to plant some as annuals this summer. Thanks for taking us on the tour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. There were lots of plants (palms, hedges, etc.) just a very limited palate, IMHO ;-)

      Good luck with your lantanas. Hope to see photos of them on PlantPostings :)

      Delete
  5. I was introduces to lantana just two summers ago, and planted it in windowboxes and planters last summer for the first time. In a pot near where marigolds were blooming, lantana was stunning. It's an annual here in zone 4a. I have enjoyed my visit to your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting and commenting!

      Have you noticed any of the invasiveness problems associated with Lantana in warmer weather? Have you had any of the dermatitis issues some folks have with the plant?

      Or has it been well-behaved for you?

      I like your blog and your mulch looks pretty interesting too. Don't suppose any stores sell it down here in Tennessee?? :)

      Delete

Need to add an image? Use this code [img]IMAGE-URL-HERE[/img]