Monday, March 21, 2016

Class of 2016 -- Sedges - Carex albicans, Carex annectens, Carex muskingumensis, Carex pensylvanica and Carex texensis


Carex pensylvanica, Pennsylvania sedge, photo by Chhe via Wikimedia Commons
Carex pensylvanica, Pennsylvania sedge, photo by Chhe via Wikimedia Commons


Why I'm growing sedges in my garden...

1) Carex albicans (oak sedge), C. annectens (yellowfruit fox sedge), C. pensylvanica (Pennsylvania sedge) and C. texensis (Texas sedge) are all native to Tennessee. Carex muskingumensis (palm sedge) rarely occurs in this state, but it is native nearby in Missouri, Kentucky and elsewhere in the Midwest.

2) Carex is a huge genus (Wikipedia estimates almost 2,000 species!) of grassy plants. I'd like to try some of the native species of Carex to see whether any of them might make good groundcover candidates. Since there are so many Carex species in different ecological niches (sun, shade, wet, dry, etc.), I'm hoping I can find sedges that will work in different spots around my garden.


Do you grow any of these sedges? If so, what has been your experience with these plants?


Instagram