Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Goldfinches Love Mexican Hats!



Colorful Mexican sombreros
Photo by Maria de las Mercedes


No, not those Mexican hats...

These Mexican hats (Ratibida columnifera)!

Goldfinches and Mexican hats (Ratibida columnifera)
My apologies if these photos are a little hazy - they were all taken through a windowpane.

Goldfinches and Mexican hats (Ratibida columnifera)
How many goldfinches can you spy in this patch of Mexican hats? I think I see at least five (four males and one female). At various times, I spied up to 8 or 10 goldfinches feeding in this patch, but this was the most I could get in a single photo.

Goldfinch and Mexican hats (Ratibida columnifera)


Goldfinch and chaste tree (Vitex agnus-castus)
OK, this goldfinch is not feeding on Mexican hat seeds, but he is waiting on the branch of a chaste tree (Vitex agnus-castus) before swooping down into the patch of Mexican hats growing below.

Mexican hats are annual flowers, but they self-sow (somewhat vigorously) from year to year. I have many more Mexican hats in my garden this year than I did last year. And with more flowers, comes more bees. With more bees, comes more seeds. With more seeds, comes more birds.

And that's what makes the world go 'round.

PS - If you'd like to stay abreast of the latest developments at Garden of Aaron, you can now subscribe via email! Totally convenient, totally free - what could be nicer?